A world class project management, architecture and engineering organization that delivers major capital building projects across all city departments and is recognized as the leader in the delivery of both buildings and facilities that contribute to making San Francisco a beautiful, livable, vibrant, and sustainable City.
Project Management (PM)
BD’s Project Management (PM) staff is responsible for delivering major capital projects through planning, design, regulatory approval, and construction. The PM Staff delivers a variety of projects on behalf of City agencies including the San Francisco Public Library, Recreation and Park Department, Public Utilities Commission, Department of Public Health, the Port of San Francisco, and the Police and Fire departments. In addition, BDPM partners with private sector sponsors to deliver public/private capital projects such as the California Academy of Sciences, the restoration of the Conservatory of Flowers the restoration of the Palace of Fine Arts and the interior renovation of the Moscone Convention Center. BDPM employs a team of architects and engineers who possess the skills, knowledge and experience to deliver complex capital projects with aggressive schedules and extensive review and approval processes.
BDC’s PM staff enhances the quality of life in San Francisco by delivering major capital projects on time and on budget. We drive projects to successful completion by managing scope, budget, approvals, and by engaging stakeholders. We are a results-driven organization that provides strong professional development and a clear career path for our project management professionals.
Architecture, Engineering + Construction (AEC)
BD’s Architecture, Engineering + Construction (AEC) staff provide comprehensive planning, management and architectural services for the modernization and renovation of the City’s buildings, and the development of new facilities and urban space for the public. We employ 75 technical professionals with over 40 licensed architects and engineers, associates, assistants and support staff. We are a team-based organization comprised of four design studios, each led by a Senior Architect, affiliated with specific clients. Environmentally sustainable architecture is a key priority. BD AEC organization has over 30 LEED Accredited Professionals on staff and can provide consultation for LEED certification to meet or exceed the City's Resource Efficient Building ordinance. We are diverse in our experience and cultural background enabling us to outreach to all the City’s stakeholders.
The mission of BD’s AEC staff is to provide outstanding architectural, engineering and construction services to the community of San Francisco through planning, management, design and engineering excellence; and to produce public architecture and urban space that are sustainable, highly functional, and beautiful.
Through the innovation and commitment of our professional staff, we design, build, maintain, and improve the city’s facilities and urban space with skill, pride, and responsiveness in partnership with the San Francisco Community. The BDC’s AEC staff is committed to the following tenets:
- Planning: As owners and agents for the City and County of San Francisco, we are stewards of its built environment and provide comprehensive facility and project management, capital planning and project development services for: the maintenance, modernization, renovation and replacement of its public facilities.
- Management: As professionals engaged in a professional service, we employ constant attention, analysis, and continuous improvement in our business practice and delivery of services through organizational and individual Performance Measures; and our shared Quality Assurance/Quality Control Procedures.
- Design Excellence: Not as an aesthetic term, but rooted in the three principles of architecture asserted by Roman architect Vitruvius: Firmitas, Utilitas, Venustas. (Firmness, Commodity and Delight): A more contemporary translation - Sustainable, Functional, and Beautiful. The mission entails the creation and maintenance of public buildings and urban space that are:
Sustainable: Enduring, durable, and resource conscious; built of materials that have been chosen with care but not excessive frugality, and meet or exceed the standard for Resource Efficiency of SF’s Environment Code.
- Functional: Utility and usefulness; Design solutions that meet or exceed the client’s needs, that incorporate both social and cultural relevance into comfortable spaces that function flawlessly and adapt to new uses;
- Beautiful: Pleasing and elegantly designed solutions, responsive to their environment and neighborhood context that inspire and communicate the importance of architecture, and a government that cares for its citizens.
Imagination and Vision
We can develop your ideas into reality using computer aided designs and three dimensional models to graphically convey your ideas to the public and the users assuring both their and your satisfaction in the solution.
Project and Program Development
BDC assists the General Services Administration in development of the City's 10-year Capital Plan, as well project development of the annual Capital Improvement Project (CIP) budget and General Obligation Bond Proposals. Working with various agencies, BDC tracks facility condition, produces high quality assessments, and develops realistic projects and programs with definitive scopes, schedules, and financial strategies that are the standard for recommendation by the Capital Planning Committee to both the Board of Supervisors and the Mayor's Budget Office.
Implementation and Delivery
We are experts at developing delivery strategies that best match the complexities associated with major public projects. Our knowledge and familiarity of Federal, State and Local regulations is a key to maintaining schedules, budget and the successful completion of each project. We are proactive in working with all of these agencies, meeting with them early and identifying and addressing concerns before they become issues. We are expert at public works and contract law and can get the project delivered; from your initial thought, through design, to a fully realized contract for construction, permitted and built to your specifications. Integrated Project Delivery (IPD) is one of our core delivery strategies aimed at improving project coordination, and reducing errors and omissions by hiring General Contractors during the design phase. We also employ creative alternative delivery methods that provide incentives and rewards to contractors who deliver projects ahead of schedule and free of claims and litigation.
30 Van Ness, 4th floor
San Francisco, CA 94102
Architecture, Engineering + Construction
30 Van Ness, 4th floor
San Francisco, CA 94102
Division Manager: Julia Laue