Sidewalk Landscaping Permits
A Sidewalk Landscaping Permit grants permission to replace concrete sidewalk with landscaping to increase green spaces that are vital to San Francisco’s quality of life. A permit is required to ensure that the landscaping in sidewalk areas is properly constructed and maintained in order to maximize environmental benefits, protect public safety and limit conflicts with infrastructure.
Application and Approval Process
- Requests to install landscaping on sidewalks shall include the following:
- Sidewalk Landscaping Permit application stating the name of the applicant, the name and address of the owner or owner’s agent, project location, project description and plant list. (online application/application)
- Refer to sample plans and drawings for your required permit application plan drawing in the Residents How to Guide
- For additional information, refer to Frequently Asked Questions made by other applicants
- A processing fee, payable to CCSF-DPW-BUF
- If the application meets all design guidelines, SF Public Works will issue a permit.
- If the application does not meet guidelines, there are several things you can do.
- Applicant may revise application and plan in order to meet guidelines.
- Applicant may request an exception to the said guidelines:
- An additional processing fee shall be submitted
- Application to require further review by Urban Forestry Permits & Policy Division and Bureau of Street Use & Mapping
- Requests for exception to guidelines must be submitted at least six (6) weeks from intended date of installation.
If the Urban Forestry Permits and Policy Division and the Bureau of Street Use and Mapping approve the exception that meets all other guidelines, SF Public Works will issue the permit. If an exception to the guidelines is not granted, the application will not be approved.
Return to the Sidewalk Landscaping Permit Homepage
For additional information contact us at:San Francisco Public Works Bureau of Street Use and Mapping 1155 Market Street, 3rd Floor (Map) San Francisco, CA 94103 (415) 554-6700